Our Class

Saturday, July 03, 2004

My suburb


My suburb

I live in Haberfield, Sydney. Haberfield is an important suburb because it was the first "garden suburb" in Australia. It was built at the beginning of the 20th century, at the same time as Australia became a federation of states, that's why it is known as 'The Federation Suburb'.

All the houses in Haberfield have a garden at the back and a smaller one at the front. They also have a drive way on one side and a one metre passage on the other. They usually have two verandahs, one at the front and one at the back. This makes the suburb look green and spacious.

Haberfield is very close to the city, so it is very easy to go to the movies, theatre, museums, restaurants and shops there. On the other hand, Haberfield is full of specialty shops and restaurants, so you can stay in the suburb without having to travel anywhere.



Federation House

Go to this site and explore the readings and exercises on different beaches of Australia:
Australian beaches

Write a description of your suburb and post it!


Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Haberfield is a beautiful suburb. It has a serene feel about it, and the houses are amazing. We ar looking to buy a house in your lovely suburb.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:39 am  

  • Hola Rosa,

    Soy Anne, te he visto en el internet el documental sobre la gente del Aragon en Sydndy, me gustaba mucho.

    Sydney is a beautiful city, I was there twice, in 1994 and 2002 staying with my sisters, they lived in Manley, and Frenches Forest. One of my sisters now lives on the Sunshine cost, and my other sister returned to Ireland. I have looked at your blogs and they are excellent, a very good way to teach english.

    Best wishes

    Anne

    By Blogger Anne, at 9:27 am  

  • Hi Anne,

    I'm glad the documentary on Aragoneses por el mundo turned out well. It was a bit worrying putting your image oput there!

    Do you also teach English? I've got two friends from Cork teaching in the same college as me!

    By Blogger rosa ochoa, at 12:25 pm  

  • Hi Rosa,

    No I do not teach English, I work in a Bank. I will begin classes in Spanish this week, the first classes in many many years, and I am a bit nervous because it is so long since I have actually used my Spanish, but I will try.

    Anne

    By Blogger Anne, at 9:33 am  

  • By Blogger Unknown, at 6:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home